- The number of learnerships in South Africa increased from 39 to 139 during the year, thereby increasing Aspen's
contribution to the development of scarce, skilled resources.
- Aspen is committed to environmental sustainability and has a formal environmental policy in place which is aligned
with the Best Practice Environmental Option.
- During the year, 625 employees completed the ongoing Growing Effective Managers Programme aimed at
identifying and grooming the Group's management talent pipeline.
- Aspen's ongoing commitment to providing primary healthcare facilities to disadvantaged communities continued.
To date, the Group has been involved in the enhancement, extension or construction of six such clinics throughout
South Africa. Collectively these clinics provided treatment to approximately 250 000 citizens during the year.
- Aspen received an "A" rating from independent verification agency, Empowerdex, for its Broad-Based Black
Economic Empowerment ("BBBEE") status.
- Aspen retained its position as the number one supplier of generics to both the private and public sectors in
- Aspen’s over-the-counter ("OTC") division was ranked first for the fourth time in six years in the Campbell
Belman Independent Confidence Standing Survey of 42 OTC companies in South Africa.
- One in five script lines dispensed in South Africa is for an Aspen product.
- 5,3% of all scripts written in Australia are for an Aspen product.
- Cegedim Strategic Data ranked Aspen Australia’s sales team as the best in the country.
- Shelys Africa Ltd ("Shelys") was the overall winner in the President’s Best Manufacturer of the Year award in
- Aspen Australia is ranked seventh by volume of scripts written and generates more prescriptions than several of
the major multinationals in that market.
- Aspen South Africa has more script lines dispensed per annum than any other pharmaceutical company.
- Aspen was ranked 18th out of 54 companies surveyed in the peer review of South Africa's most trusted and
admired companies conducted by Ask Africa Trust Barometer.
- Aspen received a "Good" rating in the Ernst and Young Excellence in Corporate Reporting 2009 survey.