Our group consists of four divisions: Grinding Media, Rolled Products, Cast Products and Wire Rod Products, as well as a number of international businesses complementary to these divisions.
Scaw’s international businesses, together with some wholly owned IDC businesses (managed by Scaw), act as key distribution channels, each with a focus on driving the sales volume of specific Scaw divisions.
Scaw’s Grinding Media division is a leading producer of high chromium and forged grinding balls in Africa and is southern Africa’s market leader in the supply of grinding media to the platinum group metals, gold, ferrochrome, base metals, power generation and cement industries.
The division comprises two main manufacturing plants, which are both situated at the Union Junction site in Germiston:
- High chrome ball plant is an extensively automated foundry with three production lines producing cast, high chromium white iron balls with a chromium content range of between 10% and 32%.
- Forged media ball plant has three operating lines forging round bar feedstock into forged steel balls through either an upset forging process or a roll forming process.
The manufacturing plants are supported by technical sales teams both in South Africa and Ghana. The company supplies grinding media predominantly into the southern, central and west African markets and across the African continent giving us deep insights into the African minerals extraction industry. Key raw materials, which include ferrous scrap, ferrochrome and round barstock, are all sourced locally with suppliers within close proximity to the plants.
The division is one of the few grinding media operations globally with the capability and intellectual property to produce both high chromium and forged grinding media, allowing the business to offer an optimal grinding media solution for the end-user.
Grinding Media is located in the most industrialised area in Africa and within one of the world’s most intensively mined regions, ensuring access to key raw materials and close proximity to a large and diversified mining market.
The division operates the largest scrap shredder in Africa and is one of the three largest suppliers of long steel products in South Africa. It is located in an area of approximately 370 ha at the Union Junction site in Johannesburg, Rolled Products offers a vertically integrated supply of long steel products to other Scaw businesses and to the construction, mining and engineering industries. More than 25% of production is sold to other Scaw business units, with the remaining 75% of production being sold into the regional market.
The division is operated on the mini-mill concept, which includes melting scrap and other ferrous raw materials in an electric arc furnace, continuously casting the molten steel into billets and rolling the billets into long steel products at its rolling mills. It has the capability to manufacture a wide portfolio of products enabling Scaw to optimise the volumes and product mix.
Rolled Products is attractively positioned to meaningfully benefit from potential upside in the steel cycle. Flexibility exists to change the product mix of the division based on demand from other Scaw businesses and the external market. The division has strong long standing relationships with key customers, as well as transport contractors resulting in preferential rates and reliability of service delivery. The business is ideally situated to make fast and efficient deliveries to customers in Gauteng and surrounding provinces – the area of highest customer concentration.
The division produces sophisticated steel and complex low alloy steel, manganese steel, ductile iron and high chromium iron castings, ranging from 50 kg to 30 tonnes in finished weight. Cast Products is a leading manufacturer of specialised, high-quality cast products used in the mining, railway, power and general engineering industries. The division operates four foundries:
- Union Junction foundry, located just east of Johannesburg, is one of the largest foundries in the southern hemisphere and produces castings with a finished weight of up to 30 tonnes. It is a leading supplier of freight wagon bogie components, as well as single piece thin walled locomotive and passenger car frames. The foundry holds the American Association of Railroad’s quality assurance certification as well as approval for the manufacture of locomotive frames. Other world-class products manufactured include large, high chromium iron coal pulverising wear parts, slag pots and large girth gear segments.
- Wheel Plant, co-located on the Union Junction premises, manufactures high-integrity cast monobloc wheels for use in freight wagon.
- Eclipse East foundry specialises in low alloy steel and high chromium iron mill liners, manganese crushing wear parts for gyratory crushers and jaw crushers and low alloy steel earthmoving under carriage wear parts.
- Eclipse Boksburg foundry manufactures the complete range of manganese mill liners, screens and grids used in the gold mining industry.
The division further operates Crushing Equipment, a bolt-on business wholly owned by Scaw with sales offices in Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane, which is well known in Australasia as a premier supplier of alternative crusher wear parts in alloy steels, high chrome irons and manganese steels, in addition to stocking a large range of crusher auxiliary items.
Cast Products has developed a reputation for meeting customers product, quality and delivery requirements and has developed strong long-term relationships with leading players in its targeted sectors. The division operates four foundries in South Africa and a distribution network in Australia.
Wire Rod Products
Wire Rod Products has 95 years' experience in supplying premium steel products to the mining industry and is a leading manufacturer and distributor of specialised ropes, chain, wire and strand for the mining, construction, oil and gas, and industrial sectors. The division comprises five primary businesses:
- Steel Wire Ropes (SWR) is a highly specialised operation focused on producing fit-for-purpose ropes. SWR has both unique capability and product range, supplying high-tech ropes to both deep level and surface mining sectors in South Africa and abroad. It has a strong foothold in existing markets and the technical knowledge to grow and diversify its international footprint.
- Chain Products is a highly specialised operation focused on producing fit-for-purpose chains. Chain is unique operations facility in Africa, capable of manufacturing a complete range of chain and chain components. It has a significant local market position supplying mostly into lifting and mining sectors and with international accreditations and approvals (DNV), it has the technology, capacity and structure to manufacture highly sought after chain products demanded by the oil and gas sector globally.
- Wire and Strand (W&S) is focused on producing high-volume commodity wire and strand products. W&S is a globally competitive high-volume, low-cost business supplying its products, notably pre-stressed concrete strand and haulage rope, both locally and globally. It has a captive local market and opportunities to increase volumes into mining and construction sectors, both into Africa and internationally.
- Distribution Network, (DNW), the retail and distribution segment of Wire Rod Products, which stocks and sells third-party import products as well as various applications of SWR and Chain products.
Wire Rod Products has an extensive manufacturing and distribution network in southern Africa, Australia and North America. Its internationally recognised brands include Haggie®, under the SWR division, and McKinnon® and Max-Alloy, under the Chain Products division, with relevant certifications being obtained in key geographies, enabling the division to service key industries around the world.